According to a report from WRDE NBC News, one person was killed, and two other people were injured in a sideswipe crash in Sussex County. The collision happened when a driver of a 2021 Jeep crossed the centerline on Seashore Highway in Bridgeville. Here, our Delaware auto accident attorney explains what we know about the crash and discusses the risks of sideswipe collisions.
Preliminary Report: Vehicle Crossed the Yellow Centerline in Fatal Delaware Car Crash
Delaware State Police are currently still actively investigating a fatal collision in Bridgeville. The crash involved a Jeep Wrangler, Chevrolet Silverado, and Dodge Avenger. The incident occurred shortly before midnight on Friday when the Jeep crossed into the eastbound lane and sideswiped the Silverado before colliding head-on with the Avenger.
The 49-year-old female driver of the Jeep sustained non-life-threatening injuries. The occupants of the Silverado were unharmed. Tragically, the 20-year-old driver was pronounced dead at a local hospital. The female passenger of the Dodge also suffered serious injuries. A more comprehensive investigation is still happening to determine what caused the incident.
Why Sideswipe Accidents Happen
Sideswipe accidents are a common type of traffic collision where the sides of two vehicles traveling parallel make contact. It is a type of crash that can happen in the same direction, known as same-direction sideswipes, or in opposite directions, called opposite-direction sideswipes. In general, opposite-direction sideswipes tend to be more dangerous accidents. Notably, sideswipe crashes frequently occur on multi-lane roads or highways. Several factors contribute to sideswipe accidents:
- Lane Changing without Signaling: A frequent cause, this occurs when drivers change lanes without adequate warning to other motorists.
- Distracted Driving: When drivers are not fully attentive due to texting, adjusting in-car controls, or other distractions, they might unintentionally drift into another lane.
- Blind Spots: Failure to check blind spots or properly adjust mirrors can result in a sideswipe accident when a driver does not see a neighboring vehicle.
- Impaired Driving: Consumption of alcohol or drugs can significantly impair judgment and coordination, making it more likely for a driver to sway from their lane.
- Aggressive Driving or Road Rage: Some sideswipe accidents are the result of aggressive driving tactics, such as trying to ‘teach someone a lesson’ by swerving close to their vehicle.
- High Speeds: Driving at excessive speeds reduces the driver’s ability to maintain a steady course and react to other vehicles.
- Poor Weather Conditions: Slippery or wet road surfaces due to rain, ice, or snow can cause vehicles to lose grip and slide sideways into adjacent lanes.
Contact Our Delaware Auto Accident Attorney for Help
At Freibott Law Firm, our Delaware car crash lawyer fights hard to help injured victims secure the maximum compensation. If you or your loved one was seriously hurt in a sideswipe collision, we are here to help. Call us at (302) 633-9000 or send us a direct message for a no-cost, no-commitment consultation. From our offices in Wilmington and Lewes, we handle serious motor vehicle crash claims throughout Delaware.