Tractor-trailer truck accidents are different from typical accidents. The size of a tractor-trailer is a significant factor in these accidents. When a tractor-trailer collides with an average-sized car, the resulting impact can have a catastrophic effect on everyone involved. If you are involved in a tractor-trailer truck accident, you need legal representation to protect your right to recover compensation for your injuries.
What to Do if You are Injured in a Tractor-Trailer Truck Accident
If you are in a tractor-trailer accident, your first concern is the safety and welfare of all involved in the accident. You should call 9-1-1 immediately. After calling for help to protect yourself and your legal rights, if physically possible, you should do the following:
- DO NOT tell anyone at the scene that you are not hurt. Even if you feel that you are not injured, you should seek medical attention to be sure. Your injuries may not be immediately apparent, and you still need a full medical evaluation from emergency responders at the scene or from your own doctor later that day;
- Once the police arrive on the scene, they should write out an accident report. Ask the police how you can obtain a copy of the report;
- DO NOT admit any fault in causing the accident to the police or anyone else. Any admission of fault on your part can be used against you later in court and may significantly hurt any legal claims you have;
- Ask for the truck driver’s name and driver’s license number. You should also note the truck’s license plate number. Ask for the name of the company the trucker is driving for and obtain all insurance information;
- Speak to all eyewitnesses to the accident. You should collect their names, contact information, and statements;
- Take photos of the accident scene. Take pictures of the scene from several different angles–highlighting the damage done to the vehicles involved in the crash and any other information you believe is important to your case, such as skid marks;
- CALL an experienced tractor-trailer accident attorney. You need seasoned legal expertise to successfully guide you through the process of asserting your rights. The Freibott Law Firm has over a quarter of a century dealing with tractor-trailer accident claims. The lawyers at The Freibott Law Firm can help you get the maximum compensation you deserve.
Tractor Trailer Truck Accident Damages
If you have been involved in a tractor-trailer accident, you may be entitled to both economic and non-economic damages (i.e., compensation).
Economic damages may include medical expenses, lost wages, and loss of earning capacity. Non-economic damages may include payment for mental anguish, pain and suffering, and loss of consortium. Punitive damages may also be available if it can be shown that the defendant’s actions resulted from willful malice or recklessness.
Tractor-trailer truck accidents can be deadly and result in catastrophic injuries to everyone involved. If you are a victim of a truck accident, you need legal representation. The Freibott Law Firm has decades of experience representing victims of these types of accidents. Our attorneys have a proven track record of winning compensation for our clients. Call today and let TheFreibott Law Firm help you.